Labels

Friday, June 24, 2011

Mars

In 2004, I decided to embark on an artistic mission that has yet to be completed. I declared an intent to draw a literary history of Mars, in other words, I intended to draw the main creatures, or characters, from all of the classic Sci-Fi novels about mars. I have managed to finish exactly one drawing. I have stacks of unfinished drawings that I stopped for one reason or another, and I have stacks of concept sketches, but for all of that I have completed one drawing. I have no idea if I will ever fulfill this mission I have set forth for myself, but I will continue to trudge along and perhaps 7 years down the road I will find myself with another completed drawing.

For the meantime, here's the one drawing I have completed.



This is Tars Tarkus, Jeddak of Thark.

I have more unfinished drawings and concept sketches of characters from Burrough's Barsoom than any other version of mars. Oh well.


Just for fun, here's a mostly complete list, in chronological order, of the classic Sci-Fi novels that take place on, or revolve around mars.

Across the Zodiac: the Story of a Wrecked Record, Percy Greg
Uranie, Camille Flammarion
Plunge Into Space, Robert Cromie
Unveiling a Parallel ( also called, A Parallel Unveiled): A Romance, Alice Ilgenfrizt and Ella Merchant
Journey to Mars, Gustavus Pope
Daybreak: a Romance of an Old World, James Cowan
On Two Planets, Kurd Lasswitz
War of the Worlds, H.G Wells
Edison's Conquest of Mars, Garrett Serviss
Gullivar Jones: His Vacation, Edwin Arnold
Under the Moons of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs
Out of the Silent Planet, C.S Lewis
A Martian Odyssey, Stanley G. Weinbaum
The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein

No comments:

Post a Comment